The Government has suspended the Bilateral Labour Agreement with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with immediate effect.
In a letter dated December 23, 2022 to all recruitment agencies and pre-departure orientation and training institutions, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development, Aggrey Kibenge said: “Bilateral agreement with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is due to expire on December 27, 2022.”
You are also aware of the challenges that have persisted during its implementation, reads part of the letter. Kibenge says the suspension is in accordance with Article 10 of the Agreement.
“This is therefore to inform you that clearance and deployment of migrant workers, approval of job orders and training of migrant workers under this agreement are suspended with immediate effect,” Kibenge wrote.
Suspension, however, does not affect migrant workers whose travel had already been cleared by the Ministry prior to “this date, and are in possession of signed contracts, travel tickets and visas.”
The suspension comes exactly on the day a body of a Ugandan girl was found on the streets of Saudi.
The girl has been identified as Esther Nabumati. As a result of this death, there are distress calls asking for whoever has knowledge about the girl and where she comes from to have them notified.